Singapore, 18 May 2022 – The Energy Market Authority (EMA) today unveiled “A Resilient and Sustainable Energy Future” as the theme for the 15th edition of the Singapore International Energy Week (SIEW) 2022.
2. The theme reflects how the global energy community has accelerated the pursuit of a greener future. Following the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) last year, there is strong momentum for countries to do more to decarbonise their economies and ride the green wave to reduce emissions. Recent events have also shown how sensitive energy markets are to geopolitical events,pushing energy security to the forefront of the global agenda. Asia, which accounts for almost half of the global energy demand, faces urgency to accelerate the deployment of renewables, fortify grid infrastructure, strengthen supply chain resilience of key fuels and develop regional interconnections to enhance security while keeping electricity accessible and affordable. Massive investments into regional grid connections, green infrastructure, electrification, green financing, technologies and supply chains for hydrogen and carbon capture utilisation, and storage would be needed to support the clean energy transition. 3. Against this backdrop, SIEW 2022 will discuss how the global energy community can ensure secure, diverse and resilient energy supply even as the world undergoes an energy transition. There will also be a focus on how governments and industries will work together to catalyse regional grid development and global supply chains for low carbon solutions such as hydrogen and carbon capture, utilisation and storage (CCUS) and advance the development of renewable energy solutions such as geothermal and nuclear. SIEW will also address how to create an enabling environment to enhance innovation, research & development, and global collaboration in the energy transition. The event will also discuss the opportunities and challenges as the region scales up investments for a green economy, and what roles can investors and financiers play. 4. The SIEW 2022 theme was announced at the hybrid Global Launch event featuring speakers from the International Energy Agency (IEA),International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), Siemens Energy, Sembcorp and SMBC. It also saw the launch of the Southeast Asia Energy Outlook 2022 report by IEA, and the World Energy Transition Outlook report by IRENA.
Highlights at SIEW 2022
5. SIEW 2022 marks the 15th edition as Asia’s premier energy event. To commemorate this milestone, SIEW is launching a new podcast series, ‘SIEWCast’. The SIEWCast series will feature energy thought leaders sharing their views on the energy transition through to 2050 as well as their strategic insights into our energy future.
6. SIEW will also feature exciting elements to welcome more delegates back in- person. Attendees can expect a line-up of exhibitions, networking receptions and a SIEW 15th Anniversary showcase this year to enhance their onsite experience. New this year, SIEW will introduce Techtables to complement the successful Thinktank Roundtable series. SIEW Techtables will focus discussions on the latest energy innovations and technologies.
7. SIEW’s anchor events,the SIEW Opening Keynote Address and the Singapore Energy Summit, will also bring together energy ministers, industry captains and international organisation chiefs to address timely topics to set the scene for discussion across the week including: (i) Securing a Sustainable and Resilient Energy Future, (ii) Accelerating Low-Carbon Solutions and (iii) Mobilising Greener Financing for Energy Infrastructure among others.
8. Singapore will also partner international energy organisations to host key events. These include the: (i) Singapore-IEA Ministerial Roundtable that will focus on Energy Security in a Low Carbon World and (ii) 2nd Singapore-IRENA High-level Forum on energy investments, green financing and the launch of the end-user electrification report.
9. SIEW 2022 will also welcome the return of the Asia Clean Energy Summit (ACES), Asian Downstream Summit (ADS), Future of the Grid, and LNG and Hydrogen Gas Markets Asia as partner events.
10. SIEW 2022 will take place in Singapore from 25 to 28 October 2022. Delegates can register their interest to attend the event on the SIEW website (www.siew.gov.sg). More updates will be shared when registration opens in July.
Download the full press release HERE.
The Singapore International Energy Week (SIEW) is an annual platform for energy professionals, policymakers and commentators to discuss and share best practices and solutions within the global energy space. SIEW 2022 will be held from the 25-28 October.
About the Energy Market Authority
The Energy Market Authority (EMA) is a statutory board under the Ministry of Trade and Industry. Our main goals are to ensure a reliable and secure energy supply, promote effective competition in the energy market and develop a dynamic energy sector in Singapore. Through our work, the EMA seeks to forge a progressive energy landscape for sustained growth. Please visit www.ema.gov.sg for more information.
For media queries, please contact:
Mr Dion Lim
FINN Partners for Singapore International Energy Week
Tel: +65 6779 5514